Monday, February 11, 2008

Recipes #1 and #2 - Corn tortillas and Enchiladas

So, there were supposed to be pictures with this post. But the camera I'm using only holds three pictures. So I have three pictures, and then the batteries died. List of things to buy: double A batteries, and a memory card-y thing.

On to the food, sans pictures.

#1 Corn Tortillas

I read at length about needing special flour (corn and lime, the mineral, not the citrus food). I happen to have accidentally bought some last summer, and had it in my freezer. I bought it at Whole Foods, but I don't have the package anymore. I don't have a fancy tortilla press like Lisa or Elise, but I did the best I could. With a rolling pin and two pieces of parchment paper, eventually got my tortillas thin enough. The ingredient list is simple enough (masa harina and hot water, added slowly enough to make a dough). The first few were too thick, but with a little practice, they got thinner. However, my complaint is that they are not as flimsy as store bought tortillas. This might sound like a good thing, but it isn't. Tortillas need to be able to be folded and rolled easily WITHOUT breaking. Mine could not do that. Which leads us to recipe #2.

#2 Red Enchiladas

I remember my grandmother's enchilada sauce to be thick and a deep red. Mine turned out to be neither. I haven't actually tried the enchiladas yet though, so I can't say if they are good or not.

Sauce:
5 dried chilies
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 onion
oil
flour

1. Boil water, once it boils, turn off the fire and drop the chilies in. Let them sit to soften.
2. Place chilies, garlic, and onions into a food processor. Process until smooth. If you have a sift, run the sauce through it. I didn't have one, so no big deal.
2. Make a roux out of the oil and the flour. Add the processed sauce to the roux to thicken it slightly.

Filling: I like cheese enchiladas, but I don't find them filling enough, so I did something a little unorthodox and filled them with both cheese and meat. My meat of choice was pork tenderloin, which I broiled with some salt and pepper. I shredded it, added red sauce to coat the meat.

Making the enchilada:
Add some meat and cheese in the first third of the tortilla. Roll as tightly as possible. Lay the roll in the bottom of a baking dish (I used my bread loaf pan because its all I had. Insert picture here of rolls going in slanted because they are too big for the pan). Repeat until you run out of ingredients or your dish is full. Between layers, add cheese. Cover the whole thing with lots of sauce, and more cheese. Bake until the cheese melts. Enjoy!

No comments: